Sunday, March 22, 2020

Days 8 & 9 - transit Tahiti to Tokyo

 Day 8 - Wednesday, Oct. 23

This will be short because today is in transit.
       After eight interminable hours in tiny Faa’a Airport, the Hawaiian Airlines flight was delayed several times, in ten-minute increments.  No explanation.  Then they said “25 more minutes”... and two minutes later started boarding.  Got the explanation from one of the stewards.  Ice on the wings!  In the tropics!  And Tahiti has no de-icing equipment!  Why would it?  The flight was almost scratched, which would have been disastrous for me... but the ice melted on its own.  (Not surprising!)
       We take off for Hawaii in the dark, Captain Lovejoy (seriously) at the controls, and land in the dark 5½ hours later, after flying back north over the Marquesas.
       Honolulu Airport is huge.  I ask many questions to find my way.  Our late departure means I now have only seven hours to fritter away instead of 8½.
       First priority:  find some food - why not Korean? - while I watch the sun rise over Hawaii.
       Like Hiva Oa and Tahiti, it’s hot and humid here on Oahu, green, with mountains in the background.  And more of that same Polynesian music, mostly minus ukuleles.  But the Polynesian facial profile prevalent in Tahiti and Las Marquesas has been replaced by Chinese and especially Japanese traits... an appropriate transition to Kyoto.
       Finally, all aboard!  And to sleep.  Wake me in nine hours.  Mahalo.

Faa'a Airport, Tahiti


Day 9 - Thursday, Oct. 24 - Tokyo

Actually, the Honolulu-Tokyo flight was only 7 hours 58 minutes, arriving early at 6:30 p.m. because of tail winds.  But with the seven hour time difference and the International Date Line, plus customs (photo and fingerprints taken) plus the shuttle, I don’t reach the hotel near the airport until 8:30.
       Narita is a huge airport.  It was hard to find that shuttle.  I was told it was way back down at Point 16, but then no, so I had to go all the way back to Point 25.  About a 20-minute walk in all.  And me with little sleep in the past 36 hours, none of it in a bed.
       The ANA Crowne Praza... I mean Plaza (but that’s the way the shuttle recording pronounces it) will be fine overnight.  I experience my first warmed-seat toilet but don’t avail myself of the incorporated bidet feature.
       A shower.  And a bed.  The first real one since Hiva Oa on Tuesday.  What luxury!
       Tomorrow, on to Kyoto, my destination here in Japan.


No comments:

Post a Comment